Upfront Improvisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The paradox of serious play.

4 posters

Go down

The paradox of serious play. Empty The paradox of serious play.

Post  Improvthekid Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm

I take improvisation as a serious form of art and expression, a craft unto itself and both a means and an end simultaneously. Keeping this in mind, I also believe that improvisation boiled down is all about being playful and compassionate to yourself and fellow players. Recognizing the harmonious balance between honoring the serious craft of improvisation and engaging in playful behavior on stage has lead me to believe that, with the right attitude, anyone can become a great improviser.

One must walk the line(s) of multiple paradoxes to achieve full control of their improv potential.
Improvthekid
Improvthekid
Artistic Director

Back to top Go down

The paradox of serious play. Empty Re: The paradox of serious play.

Post  Joan Prinz Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 am

I take improvisation as a serious form of art and expression, a craft unto itself and both a means and an end simultaneously. Keeping this in mind, I also believe that improvisation boiled down is all about being playful and compassionate to yourself and fellow players. Recognizing the harmonious balance between honoring the serious craft of improvisation and engaging in playful behavior on stage has lead me to believe that, with the right attitude, anyone can become a great improviser.

One must walk the line(s) of multiple paradoxes to achieve full control of their improv potential.
Like the song says, "art isn't easy" that's why it's art.......sliding on that slippery slope of being true to the art but also being playful and entertaining is the goal. When it happens our hearts sing....lalalalaaaaaaa

Joan Prinz
Mainstage Performer

Back to top Go down

The paradox of serious play. Empty Other Improv Paradoxes

Post  kraigpencil Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:59 pm

A Kraig's List of improv paradoxes ...

• Be yourself; don't play yourself.
  • Respect your audience; don't edit yourself.
  • Be funny; don't go for the laugh.
  • Be energetic; slow down.
  • Be real; be imaginative.
  • Do the next logical thing; don't plan ahead.
  • Everything you need is in your partner; everything you need is in you.

kraigpencil
Improv Student

Back to top Go down

The paradox of serious play. Empty Paradoxes

Post  Cecily Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

I agree,

The fact is that in 10 or 20 years our lives could be in the hands of the “Man Maiden” or the “Green Dragon”! Fortunately for us there is actual real life evidence that people who are funny and silly are also amazingly clear-headed and intelligent (in the theater and out)…at the same time! As we know Stuart Smalley saved his own family and touched the lives of many people with his humor and honesty in the 90’s. He also allowed himself a bad show now and then…….And yet, his creator will be doing really serious stuff over the next 4 years. It is indeed comforting to remember this when you are crawling around on the floor barking like a dog while your teacher chuckles.

Thanks everyone for your improv thoughts! Cecily
Cecily
Cecily
Improv Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Improvthekid Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Kraig - You are so "black or white" with your paradoxes.

# Be (able to be) yourself; don't allow playing yourself to dominate your play.
# Respect that your audience is there; don't constantly edit yourself.
# Be fun; don't sacrifice the scene for a laugh.
# Be energetic; slow down. GOOD ONE!
# Be real; be imaginative. GOOD TWO!
# Do the next logical thing; don't plan ahead. This one isn't a paradox, you are saying the same thing twice
# Everything you need is in your partner; everything you need is in you. THREE!

I only dissect to widen the range of people who can learn from your learned improv paradoxes.
Improvthekid
Improvthekid
Artistic Director

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum